Does aleph support HTTP pipelining?
Alan Malloy
2016-08-11 18:20:43 UTC
I think it probably does, but it's not totally clear to me whether the
pipeline-transform argument to start-server is actually related to
pipelining at all. I ask because we have one HTTP client who is
experiencing poor performance connecting to our Aleph server, and is also
one of very few clients who is using HTTP pipelining, so we're hoping to
rule out the possibility that pipelining is the cause.
Zach Tellman
2016-08-11 18:23:00 UTC
Different pipeline, that's referencing Netty's ChannelPipeline class.
Aleph does support pipelining, and as far as I know doesn't have any
performance issues on that count, other than the inherent ones due to one
slow request affecting everything behind it.
Alan Malloy
2016-08-11 18:34:19 UTC
Thanks. I think the problem is probably that the client thinks pipelining
allows the server to process the pipelined requests in parallel, but of
course it doesn't (right?). This would explain their perceived poor
performance.
Zach Tellman
2016-08-11 19:06:08 UTC
It does try to process them in parallel, but it can only respond in the
same order that the requests were received. If they care about latency,
they shouldn't be using pipelining. It's only supposed to be used for
high-throughput, latency-tolerant use cases.