Durable queue sophisticated retries
Andy Chambers
2015-10-18 01:13:11 UTC
Hi Zach,

In durable-queue, there is the retry! function which provides support for
retrying tasks but as far as I can see, there's no explicit support for
retrying a task after some delay. Where would you suggest that one should
store the data required to implement retry with an increasing backoff
algorithm for example? Am I wrong in assuming the tasks themselves cannot
be modified prior to `retry!`.

Cheers,
Andy
Zach Tellman
2015-10-18 01:19:34 UTC
The tasks cannot be modified once enqueued. You can either have some sort
of external data structure to track retry delays, or you can enqueue a new
task and mark the failed one as `complete!`. The only risk there is that
you'll temporarily have both tasks in the queue before marking the first as
complete, and your process could crash in that moment.